The MMA community MUST play its part in following government advice and legislation
Birmingham, UK. September 7th 2020: The English Mixed Martial Arts Association (EMMAA) is urging fighters, coaches, clubs and officials across the country to adhere to Government advice and legislation in regards to returning to live competition during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This follows a disappointing array of events in recent weeks that flagrantly disregarded both the Government’s advice on a phased return to sport, but also the advice of local authorities during lockdown periods.
As a sport that is fighting for recognition not only here in the UK, but also on the global stage, it’s imperative every member of the MMA community takes accountability for their actions.
Here is a list of requirements we urge all clubs, promoters and mixed martial artists to follow:
- All fighters and officials attending events must be COVID-19 tested.
- All should then be contained in a bubble to ensure contamination does not occur.
- Events must continue to be run behind closed doors without fans and with only essential officials, promoters and broadcasters in attendance.
- All fighters should be wearing protective masks during weigh-ins and ring walks.
- Fighters, referees and trainers must travel to and from the venue wearing personal protective masks.
- Both fighters and the referee may remove their protective mask only when entering the cage. But corner teams, judges and other cageside officials must keep their masks on at all times.
- No ring announcers, card girls or TV production teams are allowed inside the cage.
- All venues must be cleaned to a medical standard before the event and feature appropriate hand sanitising stations.
- The cage canvas and wall netting should also cleaned between fights.
Further information on hosting live sport at this time can be found via this link:
If you would like further guidance or support regarding the staging of live MMA events in England, contact a member of the EMMAA board directly or email: email@example.com
EMMAA will issue updates in line with the Government guidance and Safe MMA’s medical advice. Please stay safe.