The English Mixed Martial Arts Association, EMMAA, was founded in June 2019 and is led by international referee Marc Goddard. EMMAA is affiliated to the international governing body the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation (IMMAF) to represent the national MMA community with the following purposes:
The education, training and safeguarding of young people, competitors and coaches in MMA.
- – To develop the amateur sport with the long-term goal of seeing MMA at the Olympic Games.
- – To harness the benefits MMA has to offer wider society.
- – To represent English MMA internationally with the development of a national team via domestic competition.
- – The installation of a national rankings system.
- – To promote a positive image of mixed martial arts.
The main objective of the Association is the development of MMA as a sport discipline. EMMAA shares the International Olympic Committee (IOC) belief in sport’s power to connect people. The organization will promote MMA as a sport for everyone, regardless of origin, social status, race or religion. The mission of the organization is education at a grass roots level in order to minimize risk in the discipline. The Olympic Spirit and fair play are the principles that the Association will instil in the youngest generation. Alongside sport development and regulation, the long-term goal is to see MMA into the Olympic Games.
The EMMAA Board is made up of:
- – Marc Goddard, IMMAF Director of Regulatory Affairs (President)
- – Paul Reed, Head of Performance (Vice President)
- – Dan Hardy, the first Englishman to fight for a UFC world title
- – Leon Roberts, International referee (Safeguarding Lead)
- – Paul Sutherland, MMA judge and coach
- – Nick Peet, fight sports journalist and media consultant
- – Dr Abad Ali, MBBS, MRCGP, DCH. DRCOG, Sports & Exercise diploma
- – Marie Spencer (Company Secretary)
- – Sam Reed (Treasurer)
The EMMAA Coaching team is made up of:
- – Mark “Spen” Spencer – Youth Head Coach
- – Paul Kelly – Adult Head Coach
- – Paul Rimmer
- – Lee Bown
- – Vaughan Lee
- – Kamby Banger
- – Dave Lee
- – Patrick Martin
- – Andrew Fisher
- – Christian Smith
- – Ryan Thomas
- – Graeme Wheatley
On launching the Association EMMAA President Marc Goddard stated:
“Personally, I am thrilled, excited and ambitious to share the future of mixed martial arts that we hold a collective responsibility to. The invitation and formation of the inaugural board in my eyes needs no introduction and we all share and hold the same passion for this wonderful sport. United we stand.”